Apple Pie Cookies are just yum! The delicate crumbly melt in your mouth crust and the apple pie filling are an amazing combination. Can be made any time of the year as a snack or dessert!
Who doesn’t love some warm apple pie with vanilla ice cream?
A favourite of many people, an apple pie dessert is just delicious. Since we had apples around we decided to make Apple Halwa, which is kinda like the apple pie filling.
And then there was quite a bit of apple halwa leftover. So while thinking about what to do with the leftover apple halwa, we decided to make cookies that were just like apple pie.
Instead of a large pie, we made tiny miniature pie-cookies. And the cookies turned out pretty yum, each time like a mouthful of apple pie.
What Ingredients Do You Need To Make Apple Pie Cookies?
For the apple pie filling or apple halwa, you will need apples, ghee, sugar and cinnamon powder.
To make the cookie dough, you will need maida (refined wheat flour), semolina, powdered sugar, butter, egg, baking powder, and vanilla essence.
How to make Apple Pie Cookies
Start by making the dough as this will need to be refrigerated for some time.
Mix maida (all-purpose flour), powdered sugar, baking powder, butter, and egg. Next, add the semolina and vanilla essence and knead into a dough.
Wrap the dough in cling film and refrigerate for an hour or longer. If you are not in a hurry, you can keep the dough refrigerated for longer hours or overnight as well. We sometimes store the dough for weeks at a time.
Make Apple halwa Or Apple Pie Filling
Wash and grate the apples, and discard the cores.
In a vessel, add ghee and allow it to heat. Add in the grated apples and then add the sugar and cinnamon powder. Mix and stir occasionally to reduce the water that the apples release. Stir until quite dry.
You can make this a day prior too if you do not want to do too much on the day you’re cooking.
Assembling the cookie Pies
When ready to make the cookies, remove the dough from the fridge and roll it on a rolling board. Use this rolled dough to form square cups by hand. Nope, you don’t need any forms or molds, just like my heart shaped cookies or rose cookies. I just squished them into shape with my hand and used a knife blade for the edges.
Place these square pie cups on the baking tray. Fill these cookie dough cups with apple filling or apple halwa and use some dough to cover them with crosses and Xs as you can see below.
Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200 degrees Celsius or 390 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20 minutes and your handmade apple pie cookies are ready.
Cooking Tips and Tricks
- Refrigerate the dough overnight for best results. Or for just an hour, if you need to make it in a hurry.
- You can make these cookies at any time of the year.
- You can use this dough to make any other shapes you like as well.
- You can add colour to the dough if you want colourful cookies.
- It is not necessary to peel the apple. The skins are healthy, so we have used the skins often.
- Store leftover cookie pie dough in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- You might also like this peach and apricot crumble recipe or the melktert.
FAQ’s about Apple Pie Cookies
How long can the dough be Stored?
You can store the dough for 2 weeks in the refrigerator or for 3 months in the freezer. Thaw in the fridge before using.
Can I use cow ghee instead of butter?
Yes, you can use cow ghee if you want a slightly healthier option.
How long can these cookies be stored?
You can store these cookies in an air-tight container for about 2 – 3 weeks at room temperature.
Why does the apple turn brown when I grate it?
The apple turns brown because of exposure to the air in a process called oxidation. Try to use the apples immediately after grating to avoid this. Or if you want to save color, add a few drops of lemon juice while cooking.
Other recipes you might like
- Date And Walnut Cake For Christmas And Special Days
- Easy Homemade Heart Cookies Recipe
- Shell shaped crunchy sweets
- South African milk dessert
- Chocolate Chip Coconut Cake
Did you love our recipe? Was it 4-star or 5-star? Please click on the stars or leave your review below!
You can print off the list of ingredients and instructions to follow for making this recipe via the recipe card below (for home use only).
You can also tag us on Instagram or join our Facebook group and share your lovely food pics and results of your food experiments there!
Sarah’s Homemade Apple Pie Cookies
Click the stars to add your rating! Left you don’t like it, right you love it!
- 300 g All Purpose Flour (Maida)
- 200 g Semolina (Rawa/Sojee)
- 250 g Butter
- 200 g Sugar Powdered
- 1 Egg
- 10 ml Vanilla Essence
- 1.5 teaspoon Baking Powder
Apple Halwa or Apple Pie Filling
- 6 Apples
- 4 tbsp Ghee (Indian clarified butter)
- 80 g Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon Powder (Dalchini)
- Mix the all purpose flour, baking powder, and powdered sugar together.
- Add in the butter and egg and mix well.
- Then add the semolina(sojee) and vanilla essence.
- Knead the dough into a ball and wrap it in cling film or saran wrap.
- Refrigerate this overnight or for just an hour depending on how your time allows. (The longer the better though.)
Prepare the Apple Halwa Filling
- Wash and grate the apples. In a vessel, add ghee and allow it to heat.
- Add in the grated apples and then add the sugar and cinnamon powder.
- Mix and stir occasionally to reduce the water that the apples release.
- Stir until quite dry and the apple halwa or apple pie filling is ready.
Assemble The Cookies
- Remove from the fridge and roll out the dough. Shape the dough into square cups and place them on the baking tray.
- Fill in the apple halwa with a spoon.
- Now make + and x on the top of the cookies by rolling the dough with your fingers.
- Bake in an oven for 20 mins at 200 degrees Celsius or 390 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once done, allow to cool for a while before serving.
Please click to rate the recipe! Left you don’t like it, right you love it!
- Refrigerate the dough for just an hour or keep it refrigerated till the next day if you have more time on hand.
- You can make these cookies at any time of the year and can change the shape depending on your theme.
- Once the apples are grated, use them immediately so they don’t turn brown.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Stuff You Might Want To Use
Nutrition (Per Serving)
Disclaimer: Nutrition Information per serving is estimated by a third party software based on the ingredients used, and is for informational purposes only. It will vary from product to product, based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients. Please consult the package labels of the ingredients you use, or chat with your dietician for specific details.