If you love Indian food, mangoes will become an indispensable part of your diet. Other than as a dessert, mangoes find prominent use in curries and pickles. One popular one, this traditional East Indian Mango pickle is sweet and mouth-watering. Easily and quickly cooked, it can be stored for months.
Here in India, pickle is eaten as a side dish with many meals. It’s khatta (sour) and meetha (sweet) at the same time. Talk about the simple yellow dal, chawal (rice) with papad and pickle; or even the masoor dal with fried fish or fried brinjal, and chapati with pickle. The combinations are many and all yummy! And to top that, there are so many types of mango pickles in India because of the vast number of cuisines. To make your own sweet mango pickle, try our East Indian recipe for mango pickle below, which is a little different from the other East Indian mango pickle called murabba that we also love.
What Ingredients do you need to make Mango Pickle?
To make this tangy and delicious sweet mango pickle, all you need is green mangoes, vinegar, sugar, garlic, ginger, turmeric, and chili powder.
How to Make Mango Pickle at Home?
First, you need to dice the raw green mangoes into half-inch pieces and cut the garlic and ginger into fine slices.
In a vessel, add vinegar and sugar and allow this to come to a boil on a high flame till it thickens slightly. See the sugar bubbling away below?
Next, add in your spices, turmeric, and chilli powder; followed by the chopped ginger and garlic. Mix these well and allow them to simmer for a while.
Lastly, add in the diced raw green mango and again mix well. We’ve used a mix of raw mango and semi-ripe mango. Allow the mango to cook for about 15 minutes till done.
And your spicy and sweet mango pickle is ready! Allow it to cool before you can bottle it in glass, ceramic or steel jars. This mango pickle goes perfect with almost every meal! But to really enjoy the flavour of the khatta meetha aamcha aachar or mango pickle, the best way is to eat it with the simple moong dal that we mentioned earlier.
What’s Perfect About This Mango Pickle recipe?
- It is very easy and quick to make.
- This mango pickle needs only a few ingredients.
- Mangoes are a great source of Vitamin C.
Cooking Tips Or Tricks
- Dice the mangoes and cut up all the ginger and garlic before you start cooking.
- Let the sugar syrup thicken slightly before you add the spices.
- If you liked this recipe, you might also like our amboshi recipe and kadmat recipe.
FAQ’s About Mango Pickle
Can I use ripe mangoes?
No, you need to use raw green mangoes as ripe mangoes will get squishy. But semi-ripe mangoes are perfectly okay to use.
How long can you store Mango pickle?
The sugar in the pickle acts as a preservative and allows it to last for a few months when stored properly.
What is pickle used for?
Depending on the type of pickle, it can be used in salads or as a side dish. This mango pickle is a great side dish for most Indian meals.
Can pickles go bad?
Yes, if the jar it is stored in is not closed properly and moisture gets in, the pickle can go bad. Just ensure you close the container or jar properly after each use. Also, make sure it’s stored in a cool dry place.
Other Recipes You Might Like
- Kadmat, an East Indian raw mango salad
- Red Lentil curry
- How to cure Beef Tongue
- Egg Bhurji
- Mutton Paya Curry
Did you love our recipe? Was it 4-star or 5-star? Please click on the stars or leave your review below!
You can print off the list of ingredients and instructions to follow for making this recipe via the recipe card below (for home use only).
You can also tag us on Instagram or join our Facebook group and share your lovely food pics and results of your food experiments there!
How to make East Indian Mango Pickle
Click the stars to add your rating!
- Dice the green mangoes into half-inch or cm-long pieces.
- Cut the garlic and ginger fine (like slivers).
- In a vessel, add sugar and vinegar, and bring to a boil. (about 5 – 7 mins )
- Add the turmeric, chili powder, garlic and ginger and allow to simmer for 3 mintues.
- Lastly add the diced mango and cook for another 15 mins till done.
Please click to rate the recipe!
- Dice the mangoes and cut the garlic and ginger before you start cooking.
- You can use any vinegar you prefer. We sometimes use plain white vinegar and sometimes apple cider vinegar.
- If you want a sweeter pickle, try our Mango Murraba Recipe. It’s the one that our friends take back to other countries every time they visit.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Stuff You Might Want To Use
Nutrition (Per Serving)
Disclaimer: Nutrition Information per serving is estimated by a third party software based on the ingredients used, and is for informational purposes only. It will vary from product to product, based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients. Please consult the package labels of the ingredients you use, or chat with your dietician for specific details.