Remember the easy fried purple cabbage vegetable we made last week? Well, this week was pretty busy too. So mom made her easy cabbage and corn stir fry; another one of those quick and easy vegetarian dishes to cook when you’re in a hurry. Just chop, fry and eat!
The traditional cabbage vegetable dish is called kobichi bhaji in Marathi or gobheechi bhaji in Hindi. We make it slightly different than the regular Indian dish by adding the sweet corn and tweaking a few of the ingredients.
So, what are the ingredients for this Easy Corn and Cabbage Bhaji?
The main ingredient, of course, is your cabbage! Can’t make a cabbage bhaji without it. By the way, if you’re not Indian, bhaji is the Indian term for vegetables. It can be used for raw or cooked vegetables, as can the word sabzi.
1 Cabbage (approximately half a kg)
100 grams Sweet Corn
2 tbsp Oil or Ghee
1 tsp Cumin (Jeera)
1 tsp Mustard Seeds (Rai)
1.5 tsp Salt
3 Green Chillies
5 Curry Leaves – Optional
Steps to make the Cabbage and Corn Sabzi
Chop the cabbage and set aside. Do the same with the chillies.
Now take a dish and pour in about 2 tablespoons of oil or ghee. Make what we call a “tadka” by adding in the jeera (cumin) and rai (mustard seeds) and frying for 2 minutes.
Next, add in the chopped chillies and fry for 2 more minutes. If you don’t want to use fresh chillies, use about 2 tsps of red chili powder. This will give it a different spicy flavor. Use lesser if you want it milder.
Next, add in the chopped cabbage and sweet corn and fry for 2 to 3 minutes before adding the curry leaves in.
The curry leaves are not necessary, but they cool the body and are supposedly good for digestion. They also have a carminative effect like ginger. You know, breaking down and getting all the unnecessary gasses out.
Easy Corn and Cabbage (Veg)
Click the stars to add your rating! Left you don’t like it, right you love it!
- 1 Cabbage approximately half a kg
- 100 g Sweet Corn
- 2 Tablespoon Oil or Ghee
- 1 teaspoon Cumin (Jeera) Jeera
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds (Rai) Rai
- 1.5 teaspoon Salt
- 3 Green Chillies – Fresh
- 5 Curry Leaves Optional
- Chop the green cabbage and leave aside.
- Chop the green chillis fine and leave aside.
- In a pan, make a tadka by heating oil with cumin (jeera) and mustard seeds (rai.)
- After two minutes, add in the chopped chillies and fry for 2 more minutes. (If you don't want to add chillies, add 2 tsp red chili powder. )
- Add in the chopped cabbage, sweet corn, and salt and fry for 3 minutes.
- Add in the curry leaves.
- Serve with bread or rotis.
Please click to rate the recipe! Left you don’t like it, right you love it!
Nutrition (Per Serving)
Disclaimer: Nutrition Information per serving is estimated by a third party software based on the ingredients used, and is for informational purposes only. It will vary from product to product, based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients. Please consult the package labels of the ingredients you use, or chat with your dietician for specific details.
East Indian Bottle Masala, at your door in any country!
You can now get real East Indian bottle masala delivered right to your door in any country across the globe. Chichowni and Purish Masala too! To order, Whatsapp tel: +919175191561 (No email, no website – Whatsapp is the only way to order. You’ll find the automated system very easy to use.)
Use code FugYeah10 for a 10% discount on orders over 1 kg. And enjoy making some of our delicious East Indian recipes! Sukhala!This printable recipe card is for home use only. For more recipes head over to AbbysPlate.com
Tips for making Mom’s Cabbage and Corn Stir Fry
- Serve with chapatis or puris and a few spoons of yogurt or green chutney.
- Or roll in a chapati like a taco along with some hot sauce and turn it into a grab-and-go lunch.
- To make a meaty version, add some boiled shredded beef or roast tongue just before serving.
- You can store in the fridge for a week. Reheat before serving.
- Want to make purple cabbage instead? Try this purple cabbage stir fry.
If you want our traditional East Indian recipes on hand, the Abby's Plate Cookbook Series books are available online or in-store in most countries.
Christmas with the Rebellos:
East Indian Meals & Desserts from Abby's Plate
See the full list of books here!
Other Recipes To Try
- East Indian Kimad Drink Recipe
- Easy Buttery Oyster Mushroom
- Rice Cake Recipe
- Semolina Date Cake with Candied Orange
- Bottle Gourd Halwa