Cream Cheese Frosting is a delicious topping for cakes and also cupcakes. This tangy, sweet, and creamy frosting is so good, you will want to use it for all your baked desserts. But it goes especially well with carrot cake!
Cream cheese frosting is so simple and easy to make; it takes no time at all. It goes well with carrot cake, cupcakes, and many more… With just a handful of ingredients, you have a lovely frosting that even adults would enjoy. The rich, sweet, and tangy flavor makes it such a delightful topping for so many treats. Tangy because of the oranges and lemons, I must say. If you skip those, it’s simply sinfully sweet!
Learn how to make this quick and easy cream cheese frosting in just about 5 minutes…
What Ingredients Do You Need For Cream Cheese frosting
All you need to make this delicious cream cheese frosting is cream cheese, a little salt, butter, vanilla essence, and powdered sugar. Adding orange juice or lemon zest and color are optional.
How To Make Cream Cheese Frosting
Cream cheese frosting is pretty easy to make, all you have to do is mix the ingredients in a bowl and beat them with an electric mixer till smooth. Or you could mix the butter, cream cheese, salt, and vanilla essence and then beat in the powdered sugar a little at a time.
Of course, when I’m in the mood for some handcercise – that’s my word for exercise for fatty arms, I just use a whip to beat everything together. You can too!
Beat it till it is creamy and fluffy and as easy as that, your cream cheese frosting is ready to use.
You can either slather the frosting onto the entire cake and spread evenly or pipe it onto the cake with a design. If you have your piping equipment handy, well and good. But if you don’t, you can follow this easy method. It’s what we do when we’re not inclined to wash up afterward.
Use a plastic bag or aluminum foil bag and cut a small hole at the top where you can put a piping nozzle. Fill the cream cheese frosting in this bag and use it for decorating. The main draw is that after using it you can dispose of the bag so you don’t have to wash it. Isn’t that great?
If the cream cheese frosting is too runny, remember to add more powdered sugar and make it thicker before slathering it on the cake, otherwise, you will end up with runny frosting like in the pic below, and this you definitely don’t want!
Recipe Pointers For Cream Cheese Frosting
- Use butter that is at room temperature to mix well.
- You can add orange juice or lemon zest for extra flavour.
- Use powdered sugar, so you don’t have to worry about granules.
- If the cream cheese is runny, add more powdered sugar.
- If it’s too thick, add more orange juice or you can add some milk and beat it again.
- You can add food colour as well.
FAQs About This Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
What is Cream Cheese Frosting made of?
Cream cheese frosting is made with cream cheese, butter, a little salt, powdered sugar, and vanilla.
How long Can I store Cream Cheese Frosting?
You can store the unused frosting in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 5 days. When re-using allow it to come to room temperature first.
Why did my Cream Cheese Frosting Go Runny?
If you use a cream cheese that has a high water content, the frosting can go runny. Simply add more powdered sugar to get a thicker consistency.
My Cream Cheese Frosting Is Too Thick? Can I Fix It?
If the frosting turns out too thick, you can either add more cream cheese or a bit of milk to liquefy it.
Can I use Cream Cheese Frosting under Fondant?
Yes, you can use cream cheese frosting under fondant, but you would need to refrigerate the cake after a few days. You can still eat it for 5 to 7 days after.
Can I add colour to Cream Cheese Frosting?
Yes, of course you can add color to cream cheese frosting. It will make it even more attractive, especially for kids!
Other Recipes You Might Like
- East Indian Bol Lucrecia | A Different Coconut Pie
- Homemade Dark Choc Coconut Bites
- How to cook watermelon skin
- Rum And Raisin Chocolate Brownies
- East Indian Walnut Fudge Recipe
You can print off the list of ingredients and instructions to follow for making this recipe via the recipe card below (for home use only).
If you really loved our recipe, please leave us 5-stars with your review below!
Did you try making this recipe? Make sure to share your delicious creations by tagging us on Instagram or join AbbysPlate Facebook group and share your lovely food pics and results of your food experiments there!
Easy Homemade Cream Cheese Frosting
Click the stars to add your rating! Left you don’t like it, right you love it!
- 200 grams Cream Cheese
- 350 grams Powdered Sugar Add more if needed
- 100 grams Butter
- .125 tsp Salt
- .5 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 20 ml Orange Juice Optional
- Mix butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar, salt and vanilla essence in a bowl.
- Beat with a whisk or whip with an electric mixer until it is creamy and smooth.
- Add the optional orange juice and color if you want to and beat for another minute.
- And you cream cheese frosting is ready!
- Slather on a cake or pipe the frosting to create a design.
Please click to rate the recipe! Left you don’t like it, right you love it!
- You can add orange juice or lemon zest for added flavor.
- Always use powdered sugar, so you don’t have to worry about granules.
- The butter should be used at room temperature.
- If the cream cheese is too runny, add more powdered sugar.
- If it’s too thick, add more orange juice or milk.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Stuff You Might Want To Use
Nutrition (Per Serving)
Disclaimer: Nutrition Information per serving is estimated by a third party software based on the ingredients used, and is for informational purposes only. It will vary from product to product, based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients. Please consult the package labels of the ingredients you use, or chat with your dietician for specific details.