This quick and easy Green Tomato Salad can be ready in just a few minutes. The fresh & tangy green tomato salad with onions is cooling on a hot summer’s day!
Who doesn’t love a fresh tasty salad along with their meal on any given day? And when it’s tangy, even better! Plain white rice and cooked yellow lentils, or cumin-fried rice and a tasty mutton curry, or a plate of fried kingfish with Indian veggies and also wholewheat rotis; these are just some of the options that this tangy onion salad can be paired with.
What Ingredients Do You Need For Green Tomato Salad?
All you need is a few green tomatoes, some onions – preferably red and spicy, pudina or fresh mint leaves, pepper powder, lemon juice, & a little bit of salt.
How To Make Green Tomato Salad?
Slice your onions into rings and the green tomatoes into thin round slices. Mix in a plate of flat dish and add some fresh mint leaves on top. Sprinkle with a little pepper powder and salt and drizzle with lemon juice. And voila, your green tomato salad is ready! Optionally, you can add all the ingredients to a tupperware bowl, close the lid and shake well before transporting it to the flat salad dish.
Green Tomato & Onion Salad
Click the stars to add your rating! Left you don’t like it, right you love it!
- 2 Green Tomato
- 1 Onion One large or two small
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Mint Leaves (Pudina)
- .5 teaspoon Pepper Powder Or crushed pepper
- .5 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- Cut the green tomatoes into thin slices.
- Cut the onions into rings.
- Add salt, lemon juice, and pepper powder.
- Mix in a closed container or glass bowl or Tupperware bowl and add fresh mint leaves on top.
- Move to a flat dish or salad plate and serve.
Please click to rate the recipe! Left you don’t like it, right you love it!
- Use either lemon juice or lime juice. Both work.
- If you’re not too fond of onions, use only half an onion.
Nutrition (Per Serving)
Disclaimer: Nutrition Information per serving is estimated by a third party software based on the ingredients used, and is for informational purposes only. It will vary from product to product, based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients. Please consult the package labels of the ingredients you use, or chat with your dietician for specific details.This printable recipe card is for home use only. For more recipes head over to AbbysPlate.com
Cooking Tips & Tricks
- Cut the onions into rings.
- Slice the tomatoes into thin round slices.
- Sprinkle pepper powder or you can also crush some whole pepper and use that.
- If you don’t have lemon juice, use lime juice.
- This tomato fresh fruit and veggie salad is vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free.
- If you’re not a fan of onions, use only half an onion.
- This is a simple Indian-style salad that my mom makes. It’s usually eaten in small quantities like we do aachar or pickle.
If you want our traditional East Indian recipes on hand, the Abby's Plate Cookbook Series books are available online or in-store in most countries.
East Indian Celebration
Festive Recipes from Abby's Plate
See the full list of books here!
What Other Salad Recipes Should I Try?
- Kachumber (not cucumber) Salad
- Pink Guava Salad
- Boiled Egg Salad
- Sirke Wala Pyaaz
- Raw Mango Kadmat Salad
Although Sarah has worked in travel for 15 years and specializes in Africa, she loves music, wine, food, and travel. Armed with her Canon, she’s on a mission to photograph food showcasing her East Indian community’s traditional recipes on the blog. And Abby is forever grateful!