The Boiled Beef Tongue recipe or the ox tongue recipe ends up tasting delicious and is easy to cook traditional East Indian snack. Serve as a side, appetizer, or even in a sandwich, and you’ll be a happy chappy!
One may think it’s the weirdest food, but tongue is eaten in many cuisines all over the world and is considered a delicacy too. In our East Indian culture, it’s everyday food. Well, we don’t eat it every day, but we eat it ever so often since it can be cooked in so many different styles.
Which tongue you ask? We used to eat cow beef tongue before the ban in Mumbai, India. But now we cook ox beef tongue.
Ox tongue, neat’s tongue, or beef tongue is one and the same – a tongue of a bovine animal like a Bull or Ox.
You can also eat pig tongue or pork tongue, though we haven’t tried that yet. At least not in the years I remember. The oldies say they have, but that’s them! Told them they need to make some for us so we can try it!
Although many people would say they don’t eat tongue cause they are grossed out by the looks of it, tongue meat is quite beneficial as it has quite a few nutrients and is perfect for the keto diet.
And although it looks the way it does, it tastes a lot like regular meat and not like offal. You know offal, the bits like the heart, liver, kidneys, stomach or gizzards, trotters, udders, goat testicles, or lungs that are also eaten around the world and in India too.
One of the easiest methods of cooking tongue meat is to boil it. Here’s all you need to do in this simple recipe for cooking tongue.
What Ingredients Do You Need To Boil Tongue?
All you need to boil the tongue is the tongue itself, water, and salt. You can use cloves and cinnamon if you wish or even peppercorns and bay leaves for a bit of spice. We add these in different proportions every time.
How To Boil Tongue?
Start by washing the tongue to remove any stray bits of the outer skin from it.
Notes: 1. We generally buy ox tongue that has already been skinned, the butcher shop guys have a better way of removing it and sharper knives too.
2. Use either two small tongues of 0.6 to 0.8 kg or one large tongue of 1.2 to 1.4 kg.
Place the tongue in a pressure cooker and add salt and water. Optionally for added flavour, you can add cinnamon and cloves as we have, or any other spices that you like.
Make sure the water is level with the height of the tongue, and don’t forget to add salt! Add more water to suit your pressure cooker. It needs to have the tongue fully covered when you start.
If you want our traditional East Indian recipes on hand, these books from the Abby's Plate Cookbook Series are perfect for you. Available online or in-store wherever books are sold, in most countries.
East Indian Celebration:
30 Festive Recipes from Abby's Plate
See the full list of books here!
Allow the tongue to cook in the pressure cooker for about 20 minutes on high flame after the first whistle (in traditional cookers) or once it has reached full pressure (in modern cookers).
After resting for a bit, open the pressure cooker and let the steam out. Once the tongue cools, remove it from the cooker and cut it into fine slices.
You can use these slices to serve as is or sprinkle with pepper or make sandwiches with butter and mayonnaise. Just delicious!
Cooking Tips And Tricks
- Add additional spices like cloves and cinnamon if you want more flavour in the tongue.
- You could also add pepper, peppercorns or bayleaves.
- The water level should be equal to the height of the tongue. So add more to suit your pressure cooker.
FAQ’s About Tongue
You can store the boiled tongue in an air-tight container for about 4 to 5 days in the refrigerator or about 3 to 4 months in a freezer.
Beef tongue can be made into many dishes like tongue sandwiches, roast tongue, or even corned tongue.
Well, if you want boiled cow tongue, follow the same recipe as above. If you want a cow tongue dish or cow tongue steak, follow the recipe for our beef tongue roast here.
Other Recipes You Might Like
- East Indian Wedding Bread
- How To Make Corned Beef Spread At Home
- Chicken Liver Stuffing
- Ginger wine lime spritzer
- Chicken Gizzard Chilly Fry
How to boil Ox Tongue? | Beef Tongue | Bovine Tongue
Click the stars to add your rating! Left you don’t like it, right you love it!
- 1 Beef Tongue Or Ox (See notes below.)
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
- 2.5 Liters Water Add more to suit your pressure cooker
- 6 Cloves (Lavang)
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks (Dalchini)
- 3 Bay Leaves
- Wash the tongue to remove any bits of the outer skin.
- Place the tongue in a pressure cooker with salt and water.
- Optionally you can add cloves and cinnamon.
- Allow the tongue to cook for 20 minutes on a high flame after the first whistle, that means after it reaches full rpesure.
- Once done, allow it to rest till the pressure drops, then open the cooker and allow the tongue to cool.
- Once cool, cut thin 0.5 cm slices of the tongue.
Please click to rate the recipe! Left you don’t like it, right you love it!
- Use either one large tongue weighing 1.2 to 1.4 kg or 2 small tongues weighing 0.6 to 0.8 kg. Either ox or beef will do.
- Add cloves or cinnamon for additional flavour.
- You could also put peppercorns or bay leaves.
- The water level should be equal to the height of the tongue.
- Add more water to suit your pressure cooker or instant pot.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition (Per Serving)
Disclaimer: Nutrition Information per serving is estimated by a third party software based on the ingredients used, and is for informational purposes only. It will vary from product to product, based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients. Please consult the package labels of the ingredients you use, or chat with your dietician for specific details.This printable recipe card is for home use only. For more recipes head over to AbbysPlate.com