So simple and easy to cook, the purple yam is a tasty healthy snack or appetizer. Sprinkled with a bit of salt and pepper this tuber makes a perfect vegetarian starter to any meal!
Indian Purple Yam known as Kand or Kandh in Hindi and Konfal in Marathi is a root vegetable that’s popularly known as Indian cheese. This tuber belongs to the large family of Yams and is often confused with sweet potato or Shakarkand which are distantly related to the potato family.
Although it’s a seasonal veggie that is available just from around December to January, it has loads of health benefits. Kand or konfal has a unique texture, a bright purple color, and is sweet to taste. To learn how to quickly prepare this delicious purple yam starter, read our recipe below…
How to cook a Purple Yam As an Appetiser or Snack?
Start by rinsing and scrubbing the yams with water to wash off any excess mud or dirt. Put these in a pressure cooker, fill with water, add a little salt, and place on the stove on a high flame. After the first whistle, cook for about 10 more minutes. And that’s it, the purple yams are cooked!! If you’re cooking using an instant pot, you need to set it to high pressure with the timer on for 10 minutes after pressure.
Once done venting, open the pressure cooker and allow the purple yam appetizers to cool. When cool, take out the yams, cut in halves or quarters depending on their size, and peel the outer layer of skin. You can then cut slices of about 5 cm or 1/2 inch. Place on a plate or tray, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and serve.
Did you think how to cook and eat purple yams would be difficult! It’s not! Easy peasy!
Cooking tips for this Perfect Yam recipe?
- Remember to thoroughly scrub the yams before you pressure cook them.
- It is truly easy and quick to make.
- Available in the winter season, Indian Purple Yam has many health benefits.
- Add a little salt to the pressure cooker to enhance the taste.
- Garnish with salt and pepper.
- And as my Uncle Jude says, if you want to bring out the sweetness of the konfal, add some chaat masala!
- Or serve with mustard sauce, tomato sauce, or chutney.
FAQ’s about Indian Purple Yam
Are Indian Purple Yams and Sweet potatoes the same?
No, although people sometimes assume these are the same root vegetable, they are different.
Can Purple Yams be eaten raw?
No, it cannot be eaten raw as is it quite hard when uncooked and can also be toxic.
How do purple yams taste?
Purple yams have a sweet, nutty, and earthy taste.
Is Purple Yam healthy?
Yes, purple yam has many health benefits.
Other recipies you might like
- Potato Bhaji aka Vegetable Dinner
- Egg Drop Chicken Soup
- Checkerboard sponge cake
- Egg Bhurji Recipe
- Simple Purple Cabbage Recipe
Did you love our recipe? Was it 4-star or 5-star? Please click on the stars or leave your review below!
You can print off the list of ingredients and instructions to follow for making this recipe via the recipe card below (for home use only).
You can also tag us on Instagram or join our Facebook group and share your lovely food pics and results of your food experiments there!
Healthy Indian Purple Yam Appetizer
Click the stars to add your rating! Left you don’t like it, right you love it!
- 4 Purple Yam
- 1 teaspoon Salt To add to the pressure cooker
- 1 l Water
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt adjust as per taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper Powder adjust as per taste
- Scrub the Purple Yam to remove any dirt or mud.
- Place in a pressure cooker with water and salt and cook on high flame till the first whistle. It should take about 5-7 minutes to reach this step.
- After the first whistle, cook for 10 more minutes, and the yams are ready. (If using an instant pot cook for 10 minutes after full pressure is reached.)
- Garnish with salt and pepper and serve.
Please click to rate the recipe! Left you don’t like it, right you love it!
- Scrub the Purple Yams to remove any dirt and mud.
- Cut into halves and then peel the skin, this is easier than trying to peel the skin off the whole yam.
- Add a little salt to the cooker to enhance the flavor.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Stuff You Might Want To Use
Nutrition (Per Serving)
Disclaimer: Nutrition Information per serving is estimated by a third party software based on the ingredients used, and is for informational purposes only. It will vary from product to product, based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients. Please consult the package labels of the ingredients you use, or chat with your dietician for specific details.