Purple Cabbage Stir fry is an easy-to-make dish that can be whipped up in just a few minutes. So if you are running short of time, don’t stress! Grab a head of cabbage, cook in a jiffy, and serve hot with chapati flatbread or puris.
Purple or Red cabbage is a healthy veggie that can be eaten raw. Just make a salad or a pickle and it tastes yum!
Available throughout the year, this cabbage is a bit harder or tougher to chew than the regular cabbage, but it does have a slightly sweeter taste.
Cabbage has always been around in Mom’s kitchen, her famous Cabbage and corn vegetable taste just awesome, but that’s with the green cabbage. With purple cabbage, she makes the baigani patta gobhi cha sabzi, and sometimes she makes this soy-based stir fry.
You can make this easy purple cabbage stir fry recipe really quick too! Skip the sugar on the Daniel fast!
What Ingredients do you require to make Purple Cabbage Stir Fry?
All you need to cook this red cabbage stir fry recipe is purple or red cabbage, pepper powder or crushed pepper, soy sauce, salt, sugar, and olive oil. Fresh coriander can be used for garnishing.
Optional ingredients we sometimes use are butter, raisins, cashew nuts, and minced beef.
How to Make Purple Cabbage Stir Fry?
Wash and chop the purple cabbage into fine long slices.
Add into a frying pan with olive oil, pepper powder, soy sauce, salt, sugar, and fry for 10 minutes. It’s so simple and your stir fry is ready! If you’re eating this on the Daniel fast, skip the sugar. It still tastes great!
If you want our traditional East Indian recipes on hand, these books from the Abby's Plate Cookbook Series are perfect for you. Available online or in-store wherever books are sold, in most countries.
East Indian Celebration:
30 Festive Recipes from Abby's Plate
See the full list of books here!
Once your purple cabbage stir fry is ready, you can garnish it with fresh coriander and serve!
As an option, you can also add in any leftover cooked minced beef and make it a non-vegetarian dish. Or add in some chopped bacon, ham, or salami.
Or serve with roasted cashews and raisins as a vegetarian dish. Or simply top with sesame seeds and butter! Goes perfect with plain white rice or turmeric rice too!
What’s Perfect About This Recipe
- It is quick and easy to cook.
- It requires just a handful of ingredients.
- You can make a lot of different variations of the dish using butter, mince, or nuts.
- It’s good for rolling in a chapati or puri with some chutney and pickled onions, and for adding to bread with mayo for a veggie sandwich.
Cooking Tips & Tricks
- It’s a perfect addition to the list of Daniel feast sides for meals and fasting snacks.
- Reduce the amount of salt if required.
- Garnish with fresh coriander or cilantro.
- Add more or less pepper to suit how spicy you want it.
- Top with leftover cooked mince for a meaty option.
- Or add in some chopped bacon, ham, or salami.
- Add 2 tbsp butter and some toasted sesame seeds for more flavor.
- For added flavor, toast the cashew nuts before adding them.
- You might also want to try these recipes – ratatouille, guava salad, gajar halwa, maltese kwarezimal.
Other Recipes You Might Like
- Boiled Kand
- Paella Mallorquin
- Salad of onions and green tomatoes
- Mom’s potatoes with masala
- Mota Vaal Curry
Purple Cabbage Stir Fry
Click the stars to add your rating! Left you don’t like it, right you love it!
- 250 g Purple Cabbage Or Red Cabbage
- 3 teaspoon Pepper powder Or Crushed Pepper
- 3 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 tbsp Sugar Skip on the Daniel Fast!
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Fresh Coriander Leaves Fresh sprigs
- 2 tbsp Butter Skip on the Daniel Fast!
- 2 tbsp White Sesame Seeds (Til)
- 2 tbsp Raisins
- 4 tbsp Broken cashewnuts Toast for additional flavour
- 100 g Minced beef Skip on the Daniel Fast!
- 100 g Bacon Or ham or salami (Chopped) Skip on the Daniel Fast!
- Chop the purple cabbage fine.
- Add the olive oil, pepper powder, soy sauce, salt, sugar, and salt to a frying pan along with the chopped cabbage and fry for 10 minutes.
- And that's it! The purple cabbage is ready to serve!
- Add any of the sets of optional ingredients above for a better taste!
Please click to rate the recipe! Left you don’t like it, right you love it!
- Add more or less salt depending on your taste buds.
- Toast the cashew nuts for a more flavourful dish
- Adding minced beef will give you a whole new non-vegetarian dish.
- If you’re eating this on the Daniel fast, skip the sugar. It still tastes great!
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition (Per Serving)
Disclaimer: Nutrition Information per serving is estimated by a third party software based on the ingredients used, and is for informational purposes only. It will vary from product to product, based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients. Please consult the package labels of the ingredients you use, or chat with your dietician for specific details.This printable recipe card is for home use only. For more recipes head over to AbbysPlate.com