Some days you’re so busy that all you want is a quick and easy vegetarian meal that you can eat with bread or puris. That’s when this purple cabbage recipe my mom makes comes in quite handy. If you like a tongue twister, we call it baigani patta gobhi cha sabzi in Hindi. Or for the fried red cabbage veggies, it’s laal patta gobhee sabzi. It hardly takes 15 minutes to have your purple cabbage or red cabbage chopped, fried and ready to eat.
So what do you need to make Fried purple cabbage veggies quick?
1 Purple Cabbage, weighing approximately half kg
2 Tablespoons Oil or Ghee
1 Teaspoon Jeera or Cumin
1 Teaspoon Rai or Mustard Seeds
1 Teaspoon Salt
3 Green Chillies Chopped Fine
How do you make Fried Purple Cabbage Sabzi?
Start off by chopping the cabbage, not too fine, but not too thick and leaving it aside. Also, chop the green chilies fine and leave them aside.
In a pan, take the 2 tablespoons of oil and make what we Indians call a tadka. Tadka’s give flavor to a dish, especially to dal, and are often added to the dish later on. But sometimes, like today, it’s better to add it before everything else.
So back to the tadka recipe, take 2 tablespoons of oil or ghee in a pan, add the rai (mustard) and jeera (cumin) and heat for 2 minutes till you get a nice aroma or your nose starts to twitch.
Then add in the chopped green chilies and leave for 2 minutes.
And finally, add the chopped purple cabbage and salt and fry for 5 minutes. And that’s it! You’ll know it’s ready once the cabbage has lost it’s bright color and become somewhat duller.
The tasty fried purple cabbage sabzi is ready to serve with some rotis or puris! You can add a spoonful of yogurt on the side like we Indians do. By the way, this recipe of mom’s is vegetarian and gluten free too!
Tips for Cooking Purple Cabbage
- You can serve it with masoor dal and fried fish!
- Serve with pickled onions and plain salted yogurt, and rotis or puris.
- Or add to a toasted bun with chutney and cheese, and eat as a sandwich.
- Want a different purple cabbage recipe? Try this purple cabbage stir fry!
- Want to cook with regular cabbage? Try this cabbage and corn stir fry!
Other Recipes You Might Want to Try
- Mutton Paya Khudi
- Easy Buttery Oyster Mushroom
- Sorpotel aka Sarpatel
- Goat Tripe or Vajri Khudi
- Special East Indian Chicken Tope
Did you love our recipe? Was it 4-star or 5-star? Please click on the stars or leave your review below!
You can print off the list of ingredients and instructions to follow for making this recipe via the recipe card below (for home use only).
You can also tag us on Instagram or join our Facebook group and share your lovely food pics and results of your food experiments there!
Quick Fried Purple Cabbage
Click the stars to add your rating!
- 1 Purple Cabbage Or red cabbage, weighing approximately half kg
- 2 tbsp Oil or Ghee
- 1 teaspoon Cumin (Jeera) (Jeera)
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds (Rai) (Rai)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 3 Green Chillies – Fresh
- Chop the cabbage and leave aside.
- Chop the green chillis fine and leave aside.
- In a pan, make a tadka by heating oil or ghee with cumin (jeera) and mustard seeds (rai.) (If you want it dairy free, use oil. Don't use ghee.)
- After two minutes, add in the chopped chillies and fry for 2 more minutes.
- Lastly, add in the chopped purple cabbage and salt and fry for 5 minutes.
- Serve with bread or rotis and a spoonful of yogurt on the side.
Please click to rate the recipe!
- For dairy-free use oil, not ghee.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Stuff You Might Want To Use
Nutrition (Per Serving)
Disclaimer: Nutrition Information per serving is estimated by a third party software based on the ingredients used, and is for informational purposes only. It will vary from product to product, based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients. Please consult the package labels of the ingredients you use, or chat with your dietician for specific details.