This quick and easy East Indian Salad is called an Onion Tomato Cucumber Salad and can be ready in just a few minutes. The simple fresh onion tomato salad with cucumbers is cooling, especially in Mumbai’s hot weather.
Everyone loves a healthy tasty salad along with their meal on any day. And when it’s simple and easy, even better!
This one’s easy, just cut stuff and cover with salt and pepper. I wouldn’t even call it a salad, but that’s what it’s traditionally called – the East Indian Simple Salad.
Plain rice and moong dal with sorpotel, or jeera rice and a tasty mutton lonvas, or haldi rice with fried kingfish and masoor dal; are just some of the options that this traditional East Indian cucumber onion tomato salad can be paired with.
Ingredients for the East Indian Tomato Cucumber Onions Salad?
All you need is a few tomatoes and cucumbers, and some onions, red or white. Red onions have more zing than white, so pick whatever style you prefer. Pepper powder and a little bit of salt make this salad all it is.
How To Make East Indian Simple Salad?
Slice the onions into rings, and the tomatoes into thin round slices. Traditionally, they’re only arranged in a circular format or a parallel format. I know, we’re very particular about the strangest things.
For the circular format, start with any veggie – for example, it’s a layer of cucumber, followed by a layer of tomato, followed by a layer of onions, and so on.
If you want our traditional East Indian recipes on hand, these books from the Abby's Plate Cookbook Series are perfect for you. Available online or in-store wherever books are sold, in most countries.
East Indian Celebration:
30 Festive Recipes from Abby's Plate
See the full list of books here!
For the parallel format, it’s tomato cucumber onion in one row, cucumber onion tomato in the second, and onion tomato cucumber in the third. And this continues, just like singing different verses of ‘row your boat’ in primary school. Remember?
Sprinkle a little pepper powder and salt on top; and your East Indian onion cucumber tomato side salad is ready!
- Crushed ground pepper can also work in place of pepper powder.
- You can use either 3 white or 2 red onions.
- This salad can be served with lemon wedges.
- This is a simple ethnic East Indian salad. It’s usually eaten in very small quantities like we do aachar or pickle. For more East Indian recipes, refer to my East Indian cookbook.
What Other Salad Recipes Should I Try?
- Kachumber (not cucumber) Salad
- Pink Guava Salad
- Boiled Egg Salad
- Sirke Wala Pyaaz (Indian pickled onions)
- Raw Mango Kadmat Salad
Onion Tomato Cucumber Salad – East Indian Simple Salad
Click the stars to add your rating! Left you don’t like it, right you love it!
- 2 Tomatoes
- 3 Onions 3 White or 2 Red
- 1 Cucumber
- .25 teaspoon Pepper Powder Or crushed pepper
- .25 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Sourlimes Optional – Cut in Wedges
- Cut the onions into rings.
- Cut the tomatoes and cucumbers into thin slices.
- Arrange in circular or perpendicular patches on a flat salad plate.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper powder. And serve!
Please click to rate the recipe! Left you don’t like it, right you love it!
- Use either lemon juice or lime juice. Both work.
- If you’re not too fond of onions, use only half an onion.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition (Per Serving)
Disclaimer: Nutrition Information per serving is estimated by a third party software based on the ingredients used, and is for informational purposes only. It will vary from product to product, based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients. Please consult the package labels of the ingredients you use, or chat with your dietician for specific details.This printable recipe card is for home use only. For more recipes head over to AbbysPlate.com
Other Posts you might like
- Raw Mango Salad
- Refreshing Pink Guava Salad
- Chicken Tope
- Boiled Egg Salad
- Quick and Easy Indian Purple Yam