Who knew that watermelon rind could taste this good? It’s more like a vegetable than fruit when cooked. Just try my mom’s Watermelon Rind Stir fry recipe and find out for yourself. It can easily be considered a watermelon rind pickle too!
My mom also figured out how to make some awesome watermelon fries. If you want the recipe, here you go!
What ingredients do you need to make Tarbooz ki sabzi?
What you need to make this Sabzi is a watermelon skin, oil or mustard oil, ginger, green chilies, methi or fenugreek seeds, turmeric, red chilli powder, garam masala, coriander powder, apple cider vinegar, jaggery, and salt.
How to cook Watermelon rind Stir fry?
Wash the watermelon thoroughly and cut it into pieces. Make sure the rind is clean as this is what we will be using. I usually give it a good scrub with baking soda as this is a natural cleanser.
Eat the fleshy fruit or store it for later.
Cut the rind into smaller pieces or cubes. I make these about 1.5 cm in size. You could try 2 cm or 1 inch too, but that turns out to be a bit too large methinks. And discard any bits of the rind that are yellowing or look damaged.
Heat oil in a vessel and add the fenugreek seeds and cook for a minute. Then add in the grated ginger and chopped chilies and stir for a few minutes.
Add in the other spices – namely turmeric, red chilli powder, coriander powder, and garam masala, along with the salt, and jaggery and mix well.
Add the pieces of watermelon rind and stir well.
Add in one curry spoon or 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and stir well. let the watermelon rind vegetable cook till quite dry. And your Tarbooz ki Sabji is ready to serve and eat with chapatis or rice!
Doesn’t it look delicious? Now you don’t have to discard the tarbooz rind ever again. Perhaps God created watermelons with the intention of us using the rind too. 😉 It’s so much like a vegetable. And this watermelon curry makes perfect use of the entire watermelon.
If you try this homemade freshly made tarbooz ke chilke ki sabji recipe, leave a comment and let us know how it went.
Cooking Tips & Tricks
- Any vinegar will do, but we prefer using apple cider vinegar.
- You can use any oil, however mustard oil adds to the flavor making it more like a pickle.
- Cut the watermelon rind into 1.5 cm cubes. You can do other sizes too, but I find 1.5 cm just perfect.
- Discard any bits of the rind that are yellowing or look damaged.
- If you have too much fresh watermelon skin leftover, store it in the fridge. I’ll share my watermelon fries recipe soon.
- If you prefer to use this watermelon dish as a pickle instead of a vegetable, put it in a glass jar, cover with a few tablespoons of oil and refrigerate. It’ll last for a few months.
- We usally serve the watermelon stir fry with yellow moong dal and rice, puris, or chapatis.
- You might also want to try my mom’s awesome watermelon fries!
FAQ’s about Watermelon Rinds Stir fry
How long can you store watermelon rind stir fry?
You can store the watermelon rind in an air-tight container in the fridge for 2 or 3 months. Just cover it with a few tablespoons of oil before refrigeration.
What part is the watermelon rind?
The rind is the outer layer, the green skin of the watermelon that keeps the saturated fruit safe.
What can you do with watermelon rind?
Although the watermelon is a fruit, the rind can be used as a vegetable to make a curry or stir fry, pickle, or fries.
Is watermelon rind healthy for you?
Yes, watermelon rind has quite a few health benefits. In fact, the rind is said to be more nutrient-dense than the red part. Research posted in ICJMAS shows that the rind has a higher concentration of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, phosphorus, calcium, and other minerals.
Other Recipes you might like
- Spicy Love Apple Pickle
- Easy Fennel Stir Fry
- Enchiladas recipe
- Indian Butter Beans Curry (Mota Vaal Curry)
- Mustard Chicken With Red Wine Recipe
Did you love our recipe? Was it 4-star or 5-star? Please click on the stars or leave your review below!
You can print off the list of ingredients and instructions to follow for making this recipe via the recipe card below (for home use only).
You can also tag us on Instagram or join our Facebook group and share your lovely food pics and results of your food experiments there!
Watermelon Rind Stir Fry | Tarbooz Ke Chilke Ki Sabzi
Click the stars to add your rating! Left you don’t like it, right you love it!
- Cut the watermelon rind into small pieces or cubes.
- Heat the oil in a vessel and add fenugreek seeds and fry for a minute.
- Next, add in the grated ginger and chopped green chilies. Stir well and fry for 2 to 3 more minutes.
- Add in the salt, jaggery, turmeric, red chilli powder, coriander powder, and garam masala. Mix well.
- Add in the watermelon pieces and mix again till all the pieces are coated with the masala.
- Add one curryspoon (3 tablespoons) of apple cider vinegar and cook until quite dry.
- And you watermelon rind stir fry is ready.
Please click to rate the recipe! Left you don’t like it, right you love it!
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Stuff You Might Want To Use
Nutrition (Per Serving)
Disclaimer: Nutrition Information per serving is estimated by a third party software based on the ingredients used, and is for informational purposes only. It will vary from product to product, based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients. Please consult the package labels of the ingredients you use, or chat with your dietician for specific details.