Methi Foogath is an easy-to-make East Indian recipe of stir-fried fenugreek leaves with onions and spices. A quick healthy and earthy side dish to go with any mains.
Time to make a foogath. A what? A foogath.
A foogath is an East Indian term derived from the Portuguese word “Refogar”. Well, the Anglo-Indians and Goans use it too, but their foogaths are a little different than ours.
Anyways, the base term refogar means ‘to braise’. The way we do it is to first fry the veggies with a little oil and then cook it with water till done. Our traditional East Indian recipes for foogaths can be made using any one vegetable or a mix of different vegetables.
Tendli foogath (ivy gourd stir fry) and gavar foogath (cluster bean stir fry) are quite popular, but let’s do a not-so-popular foogath today. Methi foogath aka fenugreek leaves foogath.
If you make it with real methi leaves, it’s quite bitter. Cue the khari methi or barik methi which are actually fenugreek sprouts. Definitely less bitter! Here’s how to cook it! (Same recipe works for real bitter methi too.)
See How To Make The Foogath/Stir Fry from Fenugreek Sprouts
East Indian barik Methi Foogath – Fenugreek Sprouts Stir Fry
Click the stars to add your rating! Left you don’t like it, right you love it!
- 250 Grams Fenugreek seeds (Methi seeds) Cleaned and Washed
- 2 Tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt To Taste
- 2 Onions Sliced
- 2 Green Chillies Finely chopped
- 3 Potatoes Small, diced
- .25 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 200 ml Water
- Wash and clean the methi to remove any dirt or mud. (We do this when we buy the methi from the market. If you're it growing at home in water, skip this step).
- Slice the onions fine and dice the potatoes.
- In a pan, heat oil and add the chopped green chilies.
- Add salt and the sliced onions, and fry for about 5 mins.
- Then add in the potatoes, methi and turmeric powder.
- Add water and mix well. Allow to cook on a medium flame for about 10 mins.
- And your Methi foogath (East Indian Fenugreek sprout stir fry) is ready to serve!
Please click to rate the recipe! Left you don’t like it, right you love it!
- If buying from a local Indian bazaar, wash and clean your methi well to make sure you remove all the grit and grime.
- We do not always remove the skin of the potatoes, just scrub and wash the skin well.
- You can use Olive Oil to make it more healthy.
Nutrition (Per Serving)
Disclaimer: Nutrition Information per serving is estimated by a third party software based on the ingredients used, and is for informational purposes only. It will vary from product to product, based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients. Please consult the package labels of the ingredients you use, or chat with your dietician for specific details.
East Indian Bottle Masala, at your door in any country!
You can now get real East Indian bottle masala delivered right to your door in any country across the globe. Chichowni and Purish Masala too! To order, Whatsapp tel: +919175191561 (No email, no website – Whatsapp is the only way to order. You’ll find the automated system very easy to use.)
Use code FugYeah10 for a 10% discount on orders over 1 kg. And enjoy making some of our delicious East Indian recipes! Sukhala!This printable recipe card is for home use only. For more recipes head over to AbbysPlate.com
If you want our traditional East Indian recipes on hand, the Abby's Plate Cookbook Series books are available online or in-store in most countries.
Christmas with the Rebellos:
East Indian Meals & Desserts from Abby's Plate
See the full list of books here!
Pointers For Methi Foogath Fenugreek Stir Fry
- Add curry leaves if needed.
- Replace the chillies with chili powder if you wish.
- Using olive oil makes it a tad healthier.
- You can use this same recipe with cluster beans, ivy gourd beans, french beans, or bitter gourd.
- Serve with aloo sabzi or tarbooz sabzi and rice or chapati.
Other Recipes You Might Like
- Batata bhaji
- Recipes for leftover rice
- Corn and cabbage recipe
- Homemade cottage cheese paneer recipe
- Apple halwa