Dark choco munchies are a quick and easy-to-make homemade chocolatey snack of puffed rice and nuts. Delicious and easy!
Love Chocolate? You have got to try these homemade dark chocolate munchies that my sis Abby makes, so yummy, you won’t be able to stop at just one.
I remember being so happy every time mum used to get us kids safari chocolate bars after school. What if you could make your own Safari chocolate bar and it was so so easy. We make this version without the nougat, and another version with. With just a few ingredients and in a matter of 20 minutes, this delicious puffed rice snack is ready. Plus, it’s filling and healthy too!
What Ingredients Do You need to Make Dark Choco Munchies?
All you need is a dark chocolate compound (the same one you use to make brownies), mamra (puffed rice), raisins, salted peanuts, and red chilly seeds. Of course, if you want it healthier, use dark chocolate couverture instead of compound chocolate. That requires a bit of tempering, but tastes amazing!
How to Make Dark Chocolate Munchies?
Roast the mamra or puffed rice on a Tava (flat frying pan) until they are nice and crisp. Cut raisins into halves or quarters (tiny pieces). Toast and halve the salted peanuts. Keep the red chilly seeds ready. Mix the raisins, peanuts, and seeds in a vessel.
Cut the chocolate compound slab into smaller pieces so they are easier to melt. Melt the dark compound in a double boiler. When completely melted and runny, add the chocolate to the vessel with the cut raisins, peanuts, and red chilly seeds and mix well. Lastly add the puffed rice (mamra) and mix again.
You have to work fast here or it will harden. If you’re worried about how it will turn out, take out a bit of chocolate at a time in another pot and add the other ingredients to it. This way even if the smaller batches of chocolate harden, your main batch can still be double-boiled again and liquefied.
Using a teaspoon or 2, drop chunks of the chocolate mixture in a line on a sheet of baking or parchment paper and allow this to dry. And voila, your dark chocolate munchies are ready!
Cooking Tips & Tricks
- Always use a double-boiler to melt the chocolate.
- Using salted peanuts adds to the flavour, but you can use plain if you want to.
- We use dry red kashmiri chillies for the chilly seeds, you could also use leftover pizza chilli flakes.
- You could keep the raisins whole instead of cutting them in smaller pieces.
FAQ’s about Dark Choco Munchies
How long can you store dark choco munchies?
You can store these dark choco munchies in an air-tight container at room temperature for a few weeks, or in the fridge for about 2 months.
What is dark compound chocolate?
Dark compound is a product of cocoa that contains vegetable oil instead of cocoa butter. It is less expensive than real dark chocolate but tastes just as yum.
Is it necessary to roast the Mamra?
We prefer to roast it because roasting the mamra gives the munchies extra crispiness. But if you wish, you can use the mamra without roasting.
Other recipes You might like
- Sarah’s Homemade Apple Pie Cookies
- Eggless East-Indian Nankhatai Recipe
- East Indian Sweet Shells – KulKuls Recipe
- Christmas Cookies Recipe (Vegetarian)
- Easy Indian Custard Powder Halwa Recipe
Did you love our recipe? Was it 4-star or 5-star? Please click on the stars or leave your review below!
You can print off the list of ingredients and instructions to follow for making this recipe via the recipe card below (for home use only).
You can also tag us on Instagram or join our Facebook group and share your lovely food pics and results of your food experiments there!
Homemade Dark Choco Munchies – Original Recipe
Click the stars to add your rating!
- 400 g Dark Chocolate Compound
- 50 g Mamra (Indian Puffed Rice) Roasted for extra crunchiness
- 100 g Raisins
- 80 g Peanuts Salted
- 2 teaspoon Chilli Flakes
- Roast the mamra or puffed rice on a tava (flat frying pan) until they are nice and crisp.
- Cut raisins into halves or quarters and halve the salted peanuts.
- Keep the red chilly seeds ready. Mix the raisins, peanuts, and chilly seeds in a vessel.
- In a double-boiler, melt the chocolate compound until smooth and runny.
- Pour the melted chocolate on the mixture of peanuts, raisins and chilly seeds.
- Mix well and then drop chunks of the mixture on a baking paper in a line.
- Allow these chocolate chunks to dry and your dark chocolate munchies are ready.
Please click to rate the recipe!
- Always use a double-boiler to melt the chocolate, melting it in a vessel directly on the flame will cook and harden it.
- Using salted peanuts adds to the flavour.
- Use dry red Kashmiri chillies for the chilly seeds.
- The raisins can be kept whole if you prefer.
- If you want to use dark chocolate couverture, even better.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Stuff You Might Want To Use
Nutrition (Per Serving)
Disclaimer: Nutrition Information per serving is estimated by a third party software based on the ingredients used, and is for informational purposes only. It will vary from product to product, based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients. Please consult the package labels of the ingredients you use, or chat with your dietician for specific details.